Small-holders using traditional irrigation methods on family plots are met with fundamental challenges in their effort to raise yields and improve crop quality.
The key obstacles they are routinely confronted with include uneven distribution of water and nutrients, wasted water due to runoff and evaporation and increased labor requirements.
- Limited or inaccessible water supply
- Varying water sources and quality
- Inadequate electricity supplies that hamper pump operation
- Insufficient funding
FDS™: A Big Idea for Small-holders
FDS™ (Family Drip System) is an all-embracing gravity-based drip irrigation system utilizing Netafim’s low volume drip-irrigation technology. FDS™ maximizes productivity through the use of current and existing resources, thus eliminating the need for additional investments in infrastructure. Offering a comprehensive service structure, upon request Netafim provides planning, training, technical and agronomic field support designed to suit local conditions and meet the specific requirements of each project.
Drip Irrigation – The ideal solution for small-holders
Developed by Netafim™ over 40 years ago, drip irrigation uses specially designed pipes that are pre-fitted with advanced drippers.
This sophisticated irrigation system drips precise quantities of water and nutrients right at the root zone. The result is a highly effective distribution of water, leading to improved crop quality and increased year-round yields.
- Effective for open field crops as well as small greenhouses
- Suitable for plots of any shape and size, from 100-2,000 sq.m
- Designed for all types of crops and year-round application
- Easily attaches to any water tank
- No pump or electricity required for operation
- Simple to install, operate and maintain
- Applicable for a wide variety of water sources
- Increases yields and quality
- Affordable and cost efficient
- Saves labor and eliminates the need for electricity/energy
- Enhances the use of existing resources
- Prevents water run-off, deep percolation, leaching and soil erosion
- Maximizes water efficiency
- Enables multi-seasonal application
- Easy to operate and maintain
- No special skills or previous experience necessary
- Optional for large projects according to community needs:
- technical support and agronomic training